- Better Than CuredThe three components of Better than Cured, psychotherapy, psychiatric medication and life coaching, play different roles. Psychotherapy includes replacing old patterns that have caused problems in the past with new behaviors; looking at the world with less fear and more courage; taking apart painful situations and ill-advised decisions of the past to learn from them so as to adopt healthier thinking and attitudes based on newly found confidence, knowledge and wellness. One exercise I often do with my patients is reframing the problem by creating a paradigm shift. For example, I suggest they watch financial guru Suze Orman’s shows and substitute the word “emotions” for the word “finances.” This gives them a crash course in how to avoid an emotional crisis, not just a financial one. Here’s how this may work. Orman talks about how to build financial (emotional) capital, how to make good choices with your finances (emotions), how to look at the financial (emotional) environment to make the best decisions which will influence their short and long term financial (emotional) health. The “manage finances: manage emotions” analogy is just one example of reframing. Finding that “angle,” weighing various choices and mapping out steps to solve even the most…
- About Dr. Forest Christine D. Forest, M.D., Psychiatrist,completed her postgraduate training at Los Angeles County – University of Southern California in 2002. From residency she transitioned directly into her own private practice and became attending staff at Cedars Sinai Medical Center. While developing her practice, Dr. Forest worked in the Consultation Liaison and Inpatient Unit of the Psychiatry Department at Cedars Sinai. From the beginning of her career in Psychiatry, she integrated and expanded therapeutic techniques based on “here and now.” which included Cognitive Behavior, Solution Focused, etc., with medication management. Dr. Forest’s focus is initiating and fostering successful transitions for the mentally ill, as well as for the fully functional. Further trained in Life Coaching, she initiated the program Strategies for Winning, which utilizes Guided Transformation to design effective interventions for people without mental illness, but who are at the crossroads in their careers or relationships. Guided Transformation is based on the belief that we do have what it takes to reach our dreams if we learn how to transform our positive and negative qualities into powerful vehicles that take us to where we would like to be. Dr. Forest’s life path has well prepared her for for giving such guidance.…
Better Than Cured.
is a new method of treatment for anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder and adult attention deficit disorder that I have designed and practiced with my patients for over six years with remarkable results. It is a unique approach that combines modern forms of psychotherapy with psychiatric medications and life coaching.
Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT)
Incorporating the human-animal bond in a psychotherapy process is called Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT). Working with a friendly and well-trained dog as co-therapist can facilitate a faster access to the emotional brain.
I spoke at the Women’s Health Conference, organized by the California Healthy Families Council, on Emotional Disorders in Women. I spoke on reducing stigma for mental illness at the LA County Board of Supervisors, Commission for Disabilities.
What is Life Coaching? It is designed to help you develop effective strategies to get where you always wanted to be but never knew how to. Together we create maps and means to get to your goals.
About Dr. Forest
How are my methods different? Learn about how my methods of psychiatric treatment incorporate a more humanistic approach.
Animal Assisted Therapy
- Discover Interview: Jaak Panksepp Pinned Down Humanity’s 7 Primal Emotions | https://t.co/bd7xPngCVF https://t.co/Cbnqllu1kX
- EMDR for Social Anxiety & Relationship Issues: excellent deomstrations https://t.co/omuzjUiF88
- Health Effects of Dramatic Societal Events — Ramifications of the Recent Presidential Election — NEJM https://t.co/ridK6vtZpj
- Meditation, Mental Habits, and Creative Imagination https://t.co/m1UyJJuERL via @tricyclemag